A perfect opportunity to try some true trade wind ocean sailing in the sunshine as we head out into the Atlantic Ocean from Vilamoura to Lanzarote. If you've thought about doing the ARC but not had the time this trip will give you a flavour. Fully participate in a watch system and learn about ocean sailing for 4 days as we sail around the clock. This open water passage is approximately 560 miles
Yes, its November and the weather may be rough. We will study the forecast and choose carefully when to leave Vilamoura, but what better way to experience ocean waves than on a good solid 55 foot Oyster.
Our Voyage highlights include
- Exhilarating sailing
- 550 miles for your log book
- Day sailing on the Algarve coast to Portimao and Lagos
- Learn to helm in ocean waves and following seas
- Gain confidence sailing in challenging conditions
- Making landfall on small islands and work out pilotage plans
- Taking part in a watch system
- Experiencing the beauty of sunrises, sunsets and starry skies
- Opportunity to try a sextant and navigate by the stars
- Enjoying the sound of the waves on the boat and the feel of the wind in your hair
- Anchoring in a secluded bay on the island of La Graciosa
- Finish with a well made Gin and Tonic and some Spanish Tapas ashore on the last night
BOOK NOW AT THE FOOT OF THE PAGE
Is it a course?
No. We do not run formal courses, we prefer to learn by being out at sea and experiencing whatever comes! This trip is ideal for milebuilding, gaining confidence at sailing in more challenging conditions and gaining experience towards a future Yachtmaster certificate.
You will not be a passenger. You will be expected to take a full and active part in the watch system. You will be able to learn from us about course shaping and plotting, tides (including secondary port calculations), passage planning and passage making, how to interpret weather forecasts and collision regulations. There are also plenty of opportunities to practice navigation and work out tides on the Algarve coast